Elder Johnathan Hale's Mission Site
Typhoon Megi/Juan updatesDate: October 18, 2010
Area: Aurora, Alicia Area - Roxas Zone
Companion: Elder Farley - CA -( MTC District Buddy )
MANILA, Philippines – Public storm signals across Luzon were lowered Monday afternoon as super typhoon Juan (international name Megi) lost strength after slamming into the Sierra Madre mountain range, weather bureau PAGASA said on Monday afternoon.
The typhoon, however, remained a serious threat to lives and properties, as it still packs maximum winds of 180 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of 215 kph, according to PAGASA.
Cagayan, Isabela, Kalinga, Mountain Province, and Ifugao are no longer under a storm signal number 4 category, state weather forecasters said in a 5:00 p.m. briefing.
The provinces, which will still experience 100-185 kph winds, were placed under storm signal number 3 alongside Quirino, Nueva Vizcaya, Benguet, Apayao, Abra, Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte, and La Union.
Signal 2 remained hoisted over Batanes, the Babuyan group of islands, the Calayan group, Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, Aurora, and Tarlac.
Metro Manila, Batangas, Zambales, Pampanga, Bataan, Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite, Laguna, Northern Quezon, and Polillo Island, are still under storm signal number 1.
The typhoon dumped 54 millimeters of rain in Tuguegarao City, 17 mm in Aparri, 28 mm in Baguio City, and 10 mm in Baler, Aurora, PAGASA said.
However, its rainwater has yet to fill up dams in the region, the agency added.
The water level of Magat, Pantabangan, Angat, and San Roque dams remained below normal levels.
Strongest typhoon for 2010
Juan is the world's strongest typhoon of the year so far, according to website Accuweather.com.
It packed maximum winds of 225 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 260 kph on Sunday night before making landfall over Luzon.
As of posting, the typhoon was traversing the mountainous terrain of Cordillera and will exit along the western coast of La Union-Ilocos Sur area between 11:00 p.m. Monday night to 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning, PAGASA said.
Juan made landfall at Sierra Madre’s Mt. Estagno Point at Divilacan Peak at 11:25 a.m.
It was located 60 kilometers southwest of Tuguegarao City and was travelling west-southwest at 19 kph as of 4:00 p.m.
Residents living in low-lying and mountainous areas under public storm warning signals are alerted against possible flashfloods and landslides, the state weather agency said.
It warned residents in coastal areas under signals number 3 and 2 to remain alert for possible storm surges.
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE 2) - The death toll from supertyphoon Juan (international codename Megi) has increased to 10 with 19 others injured, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Tuesday.
NDRRMC executive officer Benito Ramos said 3 of the latest fatalities were killed by a "tidal wave" in Maconacon town in Isabela province.
One person died of drowning in Cagayan; two others in Kalinga province and Baguio City were killed by fallen trees while a mother and her 2 children, ages 4 and 2, were killed after their house in San Fabian, Pangasinan was hit by a fallen tree.
Finally, one 33-year-old man from Mangatarem town in Pangasinan was killed after being struck by lightning.
Ramos said 90% of houses in capital barangay of Palanan, Isabela were totally and partially damaged, displacing 11,601 people.
The National Food Authority's warehouse, which is also at the capital barangay, was damaged by the typhoon. He said only 2,000 of the 6,000 total sacks of rice stored in the warehouse are safe for human consumption.
He added that 80% of the total population of Palanan town was affected by the typhoon.
Ramos said 70% of the houses in Tumauini town in Isabela including Gawad Kalinga houses, were destroyed by the typhoon's strong winds.
Winds also damaged several schools in Tumauini, including the newly-erected Regional Science Highschool.
Ramos, meanwhile, said that the hardest hit town in Isabela was Divilacan.
He said that he and NDRRMC chairman and Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin were supposed to fly Divilacan town Monday but this was canceled due to inclement weather.
He added that the Cauayan City airport's runway was damaged and only helicopters can land on the airport.
Ramos said they are also having difficulty communicating with local officials in Isabela province because operations of major mobile service providers bogged down due to the typhoon.
He said the number of population affected in Regions 1, 2, 3 and Cordillera Administrative Region is 1,589 families or 7,458 persons.
Weather bureau PAGASA said that as of 11 a.m., the typhoon has intensified further and has become almost stationary.
The typhoon was located 180 kilometers northwest of Dagupan City, packing maximum sustained winds of 175 kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 210 kph.
"Forecast to move quasi-stationary for the next 12 hours then move move west northwest at [a speed of] 7 kph," PAGASA said in its hourly weather update.
Storm Signal No. 2 remains hoisted over Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan and Zambales. Storm Signal No. 1 is raised over Apayao, Abra, Kalinga, Mt. Province, Ifugao, Benguet, Nueva Vizcaya, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Pampanga, Bulacan, Bataan, Cavite, Lubang Island and Metro Manila.
MANILA, Philippines - Strong winds and heavy rain brought on by supertyphoon Juan (international codename Megi) destroyed an estimated 70-80% of infrastructure in Ilagan, Isabela and affected more than 22,000 families, a radio dzMM report said Tuesday.
A report by dzMM reporter Dennis Datu said two residents including a 50-year-old woman from Santa Victoria village and a 70-year-old man in Bliss village, died of heart attack at the height of the storm.
Ilagan Mayor Jay Diaz said some 22,000 families comprising more than 100,000 residents were severely affected by the storm. He said members of the local social welfare and development office have started giving out relief goods to the victims.
The dzMM report said Juan, considered the world's strongest typhoon this year, destroyed various establishment including the Ilagan City Hall, several barangay halls and schools and a local Coca-Cola plant.
A Chowking fastfood outlet was also damaged during the storm, with Chowking staff narrating that they went hiding during the worst of the storm.
Weather in Ilagan, Isabela has now cleared up but residents are appealing for food, clothes and water from the local government, the report said. With a report from Dennis Datu, radio dzMM
MANILA, Philippines - Ten people were killed dead and 19 people were injured due to the onslaught of typhoon Juan, according to the latest report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC).
The new casualty figures came after Isabela Governor Faustino Dy III reported a tidal wave in Maconacon, Isabela that killed 3 people and injured 10.
According to the NDRRMC, Isabela is still the most badly hit province. Based on Governor Dy's report to the NDRRMC, they are currently in need of a medical team.
Among the most damaged municialities in Isabela were:
1) Palanan, where 2,582 families (11,601 individuals) or 80% of the population were affected; 310 houses and a National Food Authority (NFA) warehouse were damaged;
2) Tumauini, where 70% of houses were blown down, including schools; all Gawad Kalinga (GK) houses were damaged;
3) Divilacan, where 6 families were affected; and,
4) Maconacon, which was hit by a tidal wave.
The runway at the province's airport was also damaged and is accessible only to helicopters.
Pangasinan, other provinces
There were also an additional 3 people who died in Pangasinan province.
According to a report from Pangasinan Congressman Leopoldo Bataoil to the NDRRMC, 2 people died in San Fabian, Pangasinan after a tree fell on them, while another perished after getting hit by lightning.
To sum up, there are now 4 dead in Region 1, 4 dead in Region 2, 2 dead in CAR. A total of 10 DEAD.
As for the injured, there are 10 in Region 1, 5 in Region 2, 4 in CAR.
Meanwhile, the NDRRMC reported that many roads remain unpassable as of Tuesday.
For instance, the road from Cordon, Isabela to Tuguegarao, Cagayan is still unpassable due to fallen trees and electrical posts. The Armed Forces of the Philippines' and the Department of Public Works and Highways' clearing operations are still ongoing.
More roads are unpassable in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
In Baguio, the Benguet-Dalupirip Itogon and Nueva Vizcaya-Benguet road, as well as Kennon road from Rosales, Pangasinan remains closed to traffic due to landslides.
However, the access road from Naguilian to Marcos Highway remains open. Despite this, the NDRRMC discourages any travel.
In Apayao, the Claveria-Calanasan Road, Apayao-Ilocos Norte Road and Lenneng-Cabugao Road also remains closed due to landslides, fallen trees and the swelling of Maranas river.
In Ifugao, the Banaue-Mayoyao Road is also closed due to landslides.
The NDRRMC is discouraging any travel to Benguet since many roads are intermittently opened and closed depending on conditions which still remain generally unsafe.
The NDRRMC is still unable to estimate the cost of damages to properties and agriculture at this point.
Officials admitted they were having a hard time getting information due to problems in communication.
Isabela and Cagayan also experienced a province-wide blackout.
The NDRRMC is ready though to conduct an immediate damage assessment with local government units (LGUs,) Department of Agriculture (DA) and the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) the moment they get a go signal from authorities. As of now, flying over these areas remain unsafe.
In Metro Manila and the province of Rizal, the NDRRMC recommended the suspension of all classes all the way to college for the safety of students.
According to the NDRRMC, the continuous rains may cause flooding in Metro Manila and nearby areas and it is probably better for people to just stay at home
|<<Previous Letter||Go back to letter index||Next Letter >>|